Pet Cougars - a Fatal Attraction?

Animal Planet's show Fatal Attractions is returning this Friday, October 8th about people keeping exotic animals as pets. And to kick off that series, it's time for another guest post, this one by someone with extensive experience working with exotic animals. Annie Greer and ghostwriter Tim Vandehey, co-authored the new book, The Chimp Who Loved Me. Annie is a veterinary chiropractitioner, animal behaviorist, radio host and farmer’s wife whose life of memorable and bizarre experiences with animals (including a cheeky chimp attempting to mate with her while she was in the shower) inspired the book. Tim insisted that Annie’s stories needed to become a book. Both have dedicated the book to raising awareness of how exotic animals are often treated after they stop being cuddly, and will donate 20% of their profits to the ASPCA. To read more of this story, and many others please check out their book! You can join Annie's Facebook page here. So without further adieu...
At times like this, my true nature comes out, and it’s not flattering. It was every man for himself as I bolted for the cage door. But I was brought to a halt by my husband, who decided that this would be an opportune time to give the cougar fluids! At least we’d managed to get a noose around the animal’s neck while he was out, so he was restrained.
Sedation was too risky, so we had to give him fluids though an IV. My job was to hold the bag of fluids. Now, the average IV line is 72 inches long, but when you are near a snarling predator in a justifiably bad mood, 72 inches is nothing.Kent had the more hazardous job of getting the needle in the cougar’s neck. But every time he got close, the cat snarled and I jumped back, pulling the needle out. Kent swore at me, as though I was doing it just to piss him off.
When I am under stress, I have mantras. On a plane, my mantra goes like this: “I don’t want to die. I don’t want to die.” That day, it was, “I hate you! I really hate you!” To make a long story short, we got the IV in and the cougar survived.  I’m not so sure about the owner.